Location: Middleton, Wisconsin, United States
Part-time Allows Remote
Ballotpedia exists to build the encyclopedia of American politics. We build this encyclopedia by researching and writing about our areas of coverage, generating an unbiased resource for scholars, journalists, voters, and interested citizens.
Ballotpedia employees exemplify self-awareness and strive for constant improvement, allowing Ballotpedia to grow in new directions and constantly improve its current content. Ballotpedia employees are passionate about creating a delightful experience for anyone who interacts with Ballotpedia, refining themselves by developing expertise and cultivating professionalism, and creating structures that are elegant and adaptable to get the job done.
If you exemplify these qualities and wish to strive toward Ballotpedia’s ends, please consider applying for a position with us.
Associate Copy Editor
As an Associate Copy Editor, you will assist Ballotpedia’s copy editing team with correcting and preventing errors of all types, including typos, grammatical errors, style inconsistencies, and biased language. Responsibilities will include conducting a monthly audit of recent contributions from each writer on staff, editing high-profile articles, and answering writers’ questions on grammar and style. Creativity and innovation will also be key components of this role as we strive to find ways to more efficiently and effectively eliminate errors across the site.
The position requires 20 hours of work per week. This is a remote position, and it may be performed from your home office or another location.
- Conduct monthly error audits of each writer’s contributions
- Edit newsletters and high-profile articles upon request
- Answer writers’ questions about grammar and style
- Use html and wiki code to display content in a reader-friendly format
- Communicate with your team through email, Slack chat, Google hangouts, and conference calls
- Use Google apps for business—including Gmail, Gcal, and Google Drive—to facilitate your work and communication
- Proficient computer skills
- Strong command of grammar
- Familiarity with a variety of style guides
- Exceptional organization skills and attention to detail
- Ability to multitask, organize numerous moving parts of a project, and meet deadlines
- Strong self-motivation, as well as the ability to collaborate with others in a remote setting
- Excellent communication skills across a variety of platforms
- Ability to execute repetitive tasks
- Understanding and appreciation of the Wiki-ethos of collaboration and non-ownership of articles
Two to three years’ copy editing experience in a professional environment preferred.
The Associate Copy Editor will work remotely from his or her home location. All Ballotpedia staff work remotely. To join Ballotpedia, you must have a computer with internet access. Ballotpedia uses Google Applications (Gmail, Google Calendar, Drive, and more) to accomplish our goals. Some familiarity with Google Applications is helpful.
Ballotpedia is a results-only work environment (ROWE). A ROWE is a workplace in which every employee is 100 percent accountable to the results and 100 percent autonomous over their time. ROWE workplaces have been shown to provide better service to the ultimate customer of the business while also improving employee engagement and work satisfaction. Each employee will be oriented to the principles of a ROWE during new employee training.
Pay starts at $15.00 per hour with opportunities for bonuses based on performance after an initial review period.
Additional information can be found in the Ballotpedia Guidebook.
- résumé, including the contact information for two professional references
- cover letter
Please note: PDF files are preferred, though other file types, such as .doc and .docx, are also accepted.
No phone calls, please.